Members of the European Parliament and representatives of MEPs for Sexual and Reproductive Rights and the pro-choice network ALL of US call on the newly elected President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, to protect and further strengthen gender equality and sexual and reproductive health and rights in the work programme for the European Commission 2019-2024.
They urge Ursula von der Leyen, the new President of the European Commission, to include the following objectives in the work programme for the European Commission 2019-2024:
- Adopt a binding EU Strategy for Gender Equality and an LGBTI strategy and work towards the eradication of gender inequality and violence against women and gender-based violence and ensure that standards needed to achieve this are put in place.
- Safeguard the right of all Europeans to live free and safe reproductive lives without discrimination and include the promotion and improvement of sexual and reproductive health and rights in the next EU’s Public Health Strategy.
- Firmly denounce regressive discourse and prevent the enactment of laws and policies that undermine women’s rights, gender equality, sexual and reproductive health and rights and LGBTI rights, reiterating that those retrograde measures have no place in a democratic XXI century Europe.
- Invest EU resources and make a political priority out of delivering far-reaching initiatives to change harmful social norms through education and empowerment, to defend women’s rights, gender equality and LGBTI rights.
- Provide political and financial support to women’s rights groups and human rights defenders, particularly those working in challenging contexts in Europe, including in EU member states and implement gender-responsive approaches to budgeting in a way that explicitly tracks what proportion of public funds are targeted on women.